Books I Like Reading
If it sounds interesting, I will give just about anything a try. I have a stable of favourite authors which is always growing. I also try to read outside my comfort zone sometimes, just for a challenge.
Here’s a list of reading interests:
- Historical fiction – I love historical fiction! Sharon Penman, Sara Donati, Philippa Gregory, Geraldine Brooks, Kate Morton, Jean Auel, Alison Weir and Ken Follett are some of my favourite authors writing in this genre.
- Women’s fiction (if that’s really a category) – My favourite authors include Marian Keyes, JoJo Moyes, Liane Moriarty, Diana Gabaldon, Paullina Simons, Celeste Ng, Nora Roberts, and Charlaine Harris.
- Crime/Mystery/Thriller – Some of my favourite authors include Jane Harper, Candice Fox, Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, Paula Hawkins,, Lynda La Plante, Stieg Larsson and Gillian Flynn.
- Literature – I read this category when I want to challenge myself. But why do these books tend to make me feel miserable? Authors I like include Charlotte Wood, Tim Winton, Christos Tsiolkas, Margaret Atwood etc.
- Young Adult – This is a new genre for me which I have embraced since joining bookstagram. Favourite authors include Holly Black, Sarah J Maas, Jenny Han, Rainbow Rowell and Leigh Bardgo.
- Fantasy – This is not a category I read very often any more. It used to be my genre of choice as a child. But I will go here if the book sounds interesting enough. Favourite authors include J.K. Rowling, Philip Pullman, J.R.R Tolkien, Stephen King, C.S. Lewis, Sarah J Maas, Holly Black, Marion Zimmer Bradley and Anne Rice.
- Self–help – Shock horror, I occasionally read in this category! Sometimes it takes a motivational book to get me up and active.
- Books on Writing – Let’s face it, I need all the encouragement and help I can get!
- Classics – Ah, the classics. They are called ‘classics’ because readers return to them again and again. My favourite authors include Jane Austen, The Bronte sisters, Charles Dickens, Elizabeth Gaskell, Daphne du Maurier and Margaret Mitchell.
- Romance – I don’t know why I put this category last. Perhaps it’s the book snob in me. I really enjoy reading this category as an enjoyable, light read and think romance books and authors are some of the best writers out there. Current favourite authors include Diana Gabaldon, Sally Thorne, Monica McCarty, Nora Roberts, Lisa Kleypas, Joanna Lindsey and so many more.
My Review Policy
I write this blog for fun and for the joy of reading and writing. I review books that I actually purchase–either via my kindle or from a book retailer. Or I review books that are given to me as a gift from friends or family that I feel compelled to say something about. Sometimes I also review books sent to me by publishers if they are my cup of tea. I read a lot more books than I review as some books might be good but I feel I have nothing to say about them. I also don’t review books that I hated or couldn’t finish as I don’t like to write overly negative reviews.
Information for publishers
I am happy to be approached by book publishers about new releases but will only accept books to review if they are along the lines of my list of reading interests above. Please feel free to contact me with a brief spiel about the book you are pitching. If I am interested, I will reply to your message. I will only write a review of a book if I genuinely have some good things to say about it, but it will be an honest review.
Information for authors
I don’t accept review requests that come directly from authors at this time. As stated above, I only accept review requests from book publicists/marketers from publishing houses. Sorry I just don’t have the time to read and review your book and I don’t want to disappoint you. But I can help you in other ways. Check out my book and author marketing services.
Publishers can contact me here: jane (dot) read (dot) next (at) gmail (dot) com