My 2019 Bookish Resolutions

My penguin clothbound classics

Happy New Year everyone! In 2018 I read 105 books. I enjoyed reading books across many different genres from YA to historical fiction to romance. In 2019 I want to read more books from my unread shelf. I have so many books that have been waiting patiently for my attention, many of them classics, and this is the year that I want to get stuck into them.

Last year I set myself the challenge of reading 60 books and ended up blowing that goal out of the water. But classics take me a bit more time to read than modern books. For that reason I’m going to set my goal at 70 books this year so I don’t feel too much pressure.

Books that are on my to be read pile in 2019 include:

Classics on my shelf that I want to read

1. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
  2. Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
  3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  4. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
  5. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  6. Tess of the D’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
  7. Nineteen-Eighty Four by George Orwell (re-read)
  8. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
  9. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (re-read)
  10. Middlemarch by George Eliot
  11. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (re-read)
  12. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  13. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
  14. Persuasion by Jane Austen (re-read)
  15. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (re-read)
  16. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (re-read)
  17. Emma by Jane Austen (re-read)
  18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (re-read)
  19. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
  20. The Iliad by Homer (re-read)
  21. The Odyssey by Homer (re-read)
  22. My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier
  23. The Loving Spirit by Daphne du Maurier
  24. The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier
  25. The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier
  26. Frenchman’s Creek by Daphne du Maurier (re-read)

Fiction & Crime fiction on my shelf that I want to read

1. My Jojo Moyes collection

The Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

2. The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty
  3. Day Shift by Charlaine Harris
  4. The Aurora Teagarden Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (11 books in the series!)
  5. The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes
  6. Night Music by Jojo Moyes
  7. The Peacock Emporium by Jojo Moyes
  8. Paris for One by Jojo Moyes
  9. The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes (re-read)
  10. Crimson Lake by Candice Fox
  11. The Cuckoos Calling by Robert Galbraith (and the next few books if I like this one)
  12. The Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes (re-read)
  13. The Woman Who Stole My Life by Marian Keyes (re-read)
  14. The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes (re-read)
  15. Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
  16. The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert

YA fiction on my shelf that I still need to read

1. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
  2. Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
  3. Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  4. The Rift by Rachael Craw
  5. Dry by Neal Shusterman

Books from my husband’s shelf that I might read

1. Misery by Stephen King
  2. Carrie by Stephen King
  3. The Shining by Stephen King
  4. The Outsider by Stephen King
  5. Elevation by Stephen King

There are a lot more books but I’ll see how I go! There are only so many weeks in a year!

Books I want to get (even though I already have so many books to read)

1. The Wicked King by Holly Black (the sequel to The Cruel Prince)
  2. 99 Percent Mine by Sally Thorne (I loved The Hating Game so really want to get this when it comes out at the end of January).
  3. An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks (I enjoyed The Wife Between Us so look forward to getting this book some time soon).
  4. Becoming by Michelle Obama (I’m hoping to get my hands on this biography and devour it).
  5. Mythos by Stephen Fry and Heroes by Stephen Fry (I love Greek mythology and have had my eye on these books for a while. Maybe this is the year I get them!)
  6. The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar (This book looks so intriguing and I’m seeing it everywhere. I’ll keep my eye out for an inexpensive copy).
  7. The Wedding Date and The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory (These books are all over bookstagram and look like the perfect, frothy holiday reads. I might get them ahead of my holiday in March).
  8. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (This is a New York Times #1 bestseller that I’m seeing everywhere. It looks like a powerful book so I’m hoping to grab a copy at some stage).

I’ll leave my list here for now. I’m going to try very hard to read books that I already own but I’m an impulsive reader who is easily swayed by what other booklovers are reading. So I’m not going to be too hard on myself if I buy too many new books. Still, I will give this list my best shot.

What about you? What are your bookish resolutions for 2019? I’d love to hear them.

21 thoughts on “My 2019 Bookish Resolutions

• Janereads January 1, 2019 / 4:41 pm

Thank you! You too! 😁

1. acosyreader January 1, 2019 / 4:45 pm

Good luck Jane! I’m also going to try and reduce my owned-but-unread books this year! Happiest of new years to you 🙂

• Janereads January 1, 2019 / 4:52 pm

You too Mel! Here’s to another year of reading, bookstagramming and blogging for both of us!

2. Jodi Fisher January 1, 2019 / 9:03 pm

Great post!

I am so the same way. I tend to buy books before I read the ones I already own most of the time, LoL.

Alias Grace is a book I’ve been wanting to read for awhile now. I bought it over a year ago to read and than watch the Netflix series. I kept putting off reading it because I tend to be a slower reader and the book is so long. Hope to finally read it in 2019 and than watch the series.

Currently reading To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han. Hoping to read Love, Simon next.

Happy New Year!

• Janereads January 2, 2019 / 8:05 am

I bought Alias Grace for exactly the same reason as you and then watched the series and never read it. Let’s hope we both do it this year. Happy new year to you as well! 😊

3. cricketmuse January 2, 2019 / 5:41 am

Impressive list! I’m considering reading winners, as in Booker, Pulitzer, Newberry, Printz.

• Janereads January 2, 2019 / 8:06 am

Wow that’s a good reading goal. I’ll be interested to see your progress.

• cricketmuse January 2, 2019 / 8:20 am

I will have to find time to research and make a list. I hear the whispers of procrastination…

4. Donna Jo Stone January 2, 2019 / 3:22 pm

Amazing list! I only have two. To read the Emily series and Little Women. Other than that, I am giving myself permission to either choose from my list or chase every pretty book cover I see.

• Janereads January 2, 2019 / 3:32 pm

Those are fantastic bookish resolutions. 😊

5. jessicabookworm January 4, 2019 / 7:03 am

Jane, I love so many of the books on your classics list! Happy reading! In 2019, I would like to continue to make more time for re-reading old favourites, as well as reading more new-to-me books by my favourite authors. I would also like to get fully back into The Classics Club with my second list.

6. Dana January 6, 2019 / 1:53 am

Love this post! I as well am focusing on my unread shelf this year. I am going to try and utilize my library for new releases I want. For buying, I am trying to focus on is it a must-buy author? Is it a book in a series i am ACTIVELY reading?

P.S. Love your clothbound classics. When we complete our renovation and I get to reorganize my bookshelves, that’s the set I am aiming for!

• Janereads January 6, 2019 / 9:26 am

Your reading goals sound great! I want to be more mindful of the books I buy too. I hope you have fun choosing your clothbound classics. There are so many beautiful books to choose from. 😍

7. Sheree @ Keeping Up With The Penguins January 8, 2019 / 2:06 pm

Ooooh, once again, we have SO MUCH crossover! I just published my review of Little Women, and I’m reading Frankenstein as we speak! I can’t wait to hear what you think of Madame Bovary – it’s been years since I read it, but I loved it at the time and still quote it often. I’m definitely going to give Rebecca a go this year, from your recommendation, as soon as I finish my current reading list (I’m getting so close). Happy new year! x

• Janereads January 9, 2019 / 2:54 pm

Happy New Year to you. Looking forward to reading your take on more classics this year.

8. Angela January 16, 2019 / 12:50 am

There are some great books on your list! I’m also planning a reread of Jane Austen’s novels at some point this year. Kudos to the ambitious list of classics! I hear you about being an impulsive reader! I have a giant stack of impulse buy books from last year that I’m not planning to keep. One of my book resolutions is to use the library and make an effort to borrow books more.

I really loved Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. Have you read Fangirl? I think it’s my favorite by her.