I’m always talking about how much I love books. But like everyone else, sometimes I get annoyed by the little things. These bookish problems are certainly not the end of the world but some days they can make me go aargh!
Today in the spirit of getting them off my chest, I’m listing my bookish pet peeves. So here they are in no particular order:
1. When your follower count on bookstagram is about to reach a milestone like 1999 and you wake up to 1993. The number then continues this up and down motion for days or weeks.
2. When you can’t give half stars on Goodreads. (It’s so frustrating! Sometimes a book is better than a three but not as good as a four.)
3. When a book series won’t fit perfectly on one shelf and spreads over onto another shelf. (It’s so petty but it really bugs me. )
4. When you buy a book in a series online and when the book arrives it’s a different size to the other books in the series. (Pictured are just a few series I own which are different sizes. Sometimes I come to a series late and can only find mismatched books.)
5. When a book is going really well and you’re loving it and then the ending is hurried or is the equivalent of “it was just a dream.” Then the whole book is spoiled for you.
6. When retailers and/or publishers add stickers on books that you can’t get off without damaging the book. (I hate that all my penguin clothbound editions have damage on the back from me removing the barcode stickers. Whose idea was that?)
7. When on the rare occasion you lend someone a book and they hand it back with a cracked spine or with some other damage. No!!! Or worse, you never get it back. (I still think of the books I’ve lost in this way over the years.)
8. When someone spoils a new release book before you’ve read it and didn’t have a spoiler warning at the top of their post. (To be honest, it’s probably my bad for clicking on it in the first place.)
9. When you post a photo you really love on bookstagram and it doesn’t get many likes and you wonder is it the algorithm or is my photo crappy? ( This happens to me all the time and then I chill and remember the reason I joined bookstagram was for the books and talking about books and not to obsess about likes and followers.)
10. When a book has so much hype around it and everyone seems to love it but you read it and don’t. You then wonder what all the fuss was about.
11. When there’s an author you love (ahem Diana Gabaldon) but you have to wait years for the next book in a series. By the time it arrives, you’ve forgotten what you read in the book before it but don’t feel like going back and rereading a whole massive book to find out.
12. When you arrive late to collecting a series of books and you can’t find one of the books in the series anywhere and it’s now out of print.
13. When the movie or TV series based on a favourite book is terrible. Of course it’s not going to be exactly the same, but why did they get rid of a beloved character, change half the plot and hire an actor who looks nothing like the character is described in the book?
14. When you want to keep reading but you have to get up early for work so you have to stop. (I still remember the good old days when I could stay up until 1am reading.)
15. When you keep downloading free books on your kindle and you’ll never be able to read them all, but you can’t stop because they are FREE!
16. When you have to stop reading during an amazing part in your book because the real world wants your attention. (My dogs always jump on me for attention just when I’m reading a good part. To be honest, it’s usually because it’s their dinner time.)
17. When someone asks what your favourite book is and you have to pick just one.
18. When you run out of room on your bookshelf which means you have to get rid of some books!
19. When you’re at a party and you introduce the topic of books and someone says they don’t read and looks at you like you’re crazy because you do.
20. When you have 50+ unread books on your to be read pile but feel like you have nothing to read. (This is the story of my life.)
What are your bookish pet peeves? Let’s have a whinge today and go back to being positive tomorrow.