Why Do You Like Reading Books?

Why do you like reading books? That’s a question I often get asked in a horrified tone by the non-bookish people in my life. People who never read, don’t understand why I do. I’ve long since given up trying to win them over to reading. In fact, I often turn the question back on them and ask ‘Well, why don’t you like reading?’ For me, reading is something I do as naturally as I breathe. I just have to read because I love it. But let me try to delve a little further into the ‘why’.

Why do you love reading books?
Why do you like reading books? There are so many reasons…

I love to read because I’m interested in the world and other cultures. I can learn so much about places I may never go from reading about them. Or I end up visiting these places because I’ve read so much about them. One of the reasons I went and lived in the UK for a year and a half was because of all the English literature I read. I can also learn about different experiences and points-of-view such as what it’s like struggling with your sexuality, or dealing with racism, or living in poverty.

I love to read because I’m curious about other people’s thoughts and experiences, even if they are fictional characters. Sometimes what a character is going through is something that I can relate to and sometimes it’s completely out of my realm of experience and helps me develop empathy.

I love to read to escape from everyday life and its issues. When you’re on your way to work on a bleak, rainy Monday, how good is it to lose yourself in a story completely different from your current situation?

I love to read because I enjoy it. Some people like jogging, others are into watching sport or singing, my hobby is reading. There’s nothing I like better than opening a new book and feeling excited about its contents.

I love to read to be entertained by a story. Don’t get me wrong, I like watching TV and films as well, but nothing beats using your imagination to picture people and places.

I love to read to share my experience with others. That’s why I like blogging and bookstagramming because I can discuss my thoughts on a book with other book lovers. Reading is such a solitary experience so it’s great to hear other people’s opinions about a book.

I love to read because reading inspires me. It inspires me to write my own stories. It inspires me to try a new recipe, or start a health kick, or improve myself in some way.

I love to read because it makes me feel so many emotions: sadness, joy, pain, anger. Sometimes it’s good to get in touch with a whole range of feelings.

I love to read because it makes me happy—even if it’s a tear-jerker. Curled up with a book is my happy place.

Why do you like to read? Tell me in the comments below.

25 thoughts on “Why Do You Like Reading Books?

1. Ile Barrionuevo May 25, 2018 / 1:39 pm

Very interesting post!!!!! I am from Argentina and my feelings are the same as you !!! I really really love reading.. and seeing films based on books… my favourite book and movie is The notebook, by Nicholas Sparks… Thanks for sharing with us your thoughts!

• Janereads May 25, 2018 / 1:42 pm

Reading the book and then watching the movie is always great. Thanks for sharing!

2. Erin May 25, 2018 / 2:12 pm

I love this!! I picked out my blog title to reflect exactly why I love to read! I love to feel the emotions the book can give me, learn more about the people and places around me, and wonder — book spark so many NEW questions for every question they answer.

3. Lady B May 25, 2018 / 6:37 pm

Wow. This is so beautifully articulated. I have never tried to explain why I love reading but your post is spot on. I’ve learnt so much from reading and reviewing books (so I have to think a little deeper about what I’ve read) that I really can’t imagine a life without reading all the time. May I share your post?

• Janereads May 25, 2018 / 9:02 pm

Thank you. I’m glad you liked the post. I can’t imagine a life without reading either. 😁

4. Rebecca Hills May 26, 2018 / 1:00 am

I agree with so many of your points! I read mainly for escapism (also on my commute, like you) but also for the sheer enjoyment of it. I can’t imagine a life without books – or even a handbag with one!

• Janereads May 26, 2018 / 4:10 am

I like your comment about the handbag. I always have a book in my bag too! Thanks for stopping by. 😁

5. Sissi May 27, 2018 / 8:04 am

I also love to read because I enjoy a good story and I’m curious on the perspectives of different characters and authors. I also enjoy reading different writing styles. I really liked this post!

• Janereads May 27, 2018 / 10:38 am

Reading different writing styles is fun! Thanks for stopping by. 😁

6. ashareads May 27, 2018 / 8:55 am

I love this post! Beautifully written and I completely agree with you 🙂

7. Sheree Strange May 31, 2018 / 4:24 pm

I remember I heard someone say once that there are two types of people in the world – people that drink Coke, and people that drink Pepsi. As reductive as it is, I think it’s the same when it comes to reading: there are readers, and there are non-readers, with maybe just a few shades of grey in between. I feel like fellow readers “get it”, and they will relate to every.single.damn.thing you’ve said here 😉 I’m so impressed with how well you’ve articulated it – to me, the drive to read is as ineffable as the drive to breathe or sneeze. Thank you for sharing ❤

• Janereads June 3, 2018 / 7:45 pm

I like your comment. It reads like a mini post right there. I do know some casual readers but they are hard to find. It really is a case of you either read or you don’t. Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts. 😁

8. thebookbouquet June 3, 2018 / 7:36 pm

Oh my goodness! I was thinking the other day about doing a post like this and now you’ve re-inspired me! I can completely understand exactly why you read and I hope you’ll check on my blog tomorrow to read my post on why I read books!

9. code318 June 15, 2018 / 2:14 am

Thank you for writing this well-written post.

10. Rosy Mathew June 19, 2018 / 9:03 am

I used to read a lot when I was a kid. I remember during elementary school when we had assigned reading time, I could go to a small corner in the classroom. That’s my usual spot to read. I always had a book in my hand. Whenever we go on road trip, I would always carry two or three books to read. I don’t have the same interest. Though if a comes in hand, I would love to read. The latest book I read was Thousand splendid suns.