For the past three weeks I was immersed in the epic, magical world of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. Reading this series took A LOT of reading time as it’s seven books long (with the 8th and final book A Kingdom of Ash due out in October 2018). But it was well worth my effort.
If you have already read this series then I am preaching to the converted. If you have never read a YA or fantasy book in your life then this is probably not the series for you. If you read book one, hated it, and didn’t read any further, then this post isn’t for you. But for everyone else who wants to be swept away to a magical realm of queens and kings, princes and princesses, warriors and assassins, faeries and healers, magical creatures and witches, quests and kingdoms, then please read on.
Here are 10 Reasons Why You Should Read The Throne of Glass Series:
1. Because there is a kick-ass female hero (in fact there are a heap of heroic female characters who fight hard). It was great following the story of Celeana, the swaggering, cocky assassin with a mysterious past. I always read books with roguish male characters who know their own worth so it was refreshing to read about a female protagonist with these traits.
2. Because of the gorgeous and complicated males in this series. From Fae warriors to princes, captains to lords, there are an abundance of flawed males in this series who you can’t help but fall for. They also give all the female characters something to swoon over or be annoyed by.
3. Because of the exotic locales. You will find yourself avidly consulting the map at the front of the books as the story takes the characters and the reader to far-flung places. There are gritty cities, pirate infested islands, a desert fortress, soaring mountains and deep forests and that’s just on one continent. There are also mysterious lands to explore across the sea.
4. Because there is an epic battle between good and evil. There are plenty of baddies to hate in this series. Just as you think you’ve seen the end of one, another one pops up. And if you like a battle or two, then you will love the many battles in these stories.
5. Because here be dragons (wyverns). Fans of How to train your dragon will love this element in the series. I won’t say more because of spoilers but keep reading through the series and you’ll love this strand of the narrative too.
6. Because of the surprising love stories. I am not saying everyone couples up in these books but there are a fair few romantic relationships–all with plenty of complications. There may be a love triangle or even a love square.
7. Because the side characters steal the show. As the series goes on, it divides into many different character point-of-views. I found myself looking forward to reading certain story lines over others. I love how Sarah J Maas grows and develops her characters over time. And I liked how not every character was a warrior–some got by on their wits or by hidden talents.
8. Because the tiniest piece of plot or small character cameo will have great significance later on. Sometimes small and seemingly insignificant bits end up having great value to the story in later books. It makes for surprising plot twists.
9. Because it is pure escapism. I haven’t read many fantasy books in recent years but I am enjoying diving into this genre again. This series offers pure escapism and is so much fun to read.
10. Because the series gets better and better as it goes on. Each book is more epic than the last. You see the author grow as a writer with each book. I can’t wait for the final installment in October!
What’s a fantasy series that you recommend?