10 Reasons Why You Should Read The Throne of Glass series

For the past three weeks I was immersed in the epic, magical world of the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. Reading this series took A LOT of reading time as it’s seven books long (with the 8th and final book A Kingdom of Ash due out in October 2018). But it was well worth my effort.

A Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas

If you have already read this series then I am preaching to the converted. If you have never read a YA or fantasy book in your life then this is probably not the series for you. If you read book one, hated it, and didn’t read any further, then this post isn’t for you. But for everyone else who wants to be swept away to a magical realm of queens and kings, princes and princesses, warriors and assassins, faeries and healers, magical creatures and witches, quests and kingdoms, then please read on.

Here are 10 Reasons Why You Should Read The Throne of Glass Series:

1. Because there is a kick-ass female hero (in fact there are a heap of heroic female characters who fight hard). It was great following the story of Celeana, the swaggering, cocky assassin with a mysterious past. I always read books with roguish male characters who know their own worth so it was refreshing to read about a female protagonist with these traits.

2. Because of the gorgeous and complicated males in this series. From Fae warriors to princes, captains to lords, there are an abundance of flawed males in this series who you can’t help but fall for. They also give all the female characters something to swoon over or be annoyed by.

3. Because of the exotic locales. You will find yourself avidly consulting the map at the front of the books as the story takes the characters and the reader to far-flung places. There are gritty cities, pirate infested islands, a desert fortress, soaring mountains and deep forests and that’s just on one continent. There are also mysterious lands to explore across the sea.

4. Because there is an epic battle between good and evil. There are plenty of baddies to hate in this series. Just as you think you’ve seen the end of one, another one pops up. And if you like a battle or two, then you will love the many battles in these stories.

5. Because here be dragons (wyverns). Fans of How to train your dragon will love this element in the series. I won’t say more because of spoilers but keep reading through the series and you’ll love this strand of the narrative too.

6. Because of the surprising love stories. I am not saying everyone couples up in these books but there are a fair few romantic relationships–all with plenty of complications. There may be a love triangle or even a love square.

7. Because the side characters steal the show. As the series goes on, it divides into many different character point-of-views. I found myself looking forward to reading certain story lines over others. I love how Sarah J Maas grows and develops her characters over time. And I liked how not every character was a warrior–some got by on their wits or by hidden talents.

8. Because the tiniest piece of plot or small character cameo will have great significance later on. Sometimes small and seemingly insignificant bits end up having great value to the story in later books. It makes for surprising plot twists.

9. Because it is pure escapism. I haven’t read many fantasy books in recent years but I am enjoying diving into this genre again. This series offers pure escapism and is so much fun to read.

10. Because the series gets better and better as it goes on. Each book is more epic than the last. You see the author grow as a writer with each book. I can’t wait for the final installment in October!

What’s a fantasy series that you recommend?

20 thoughts on “10 Reasons Why You Should Read The Throne of Glass series

1. Danielle April 26, 2018 / 11:06 pm

I love the Throne of Glass series! Your reasoning is spot on! Her A Court of Thorns and Roses series is also AMAZING!

• Janereads April 27, 2018 / 4:57 am

Thank you! I love the ACOTAR series as well. ๐Ÿ˜

2. Erin Moore April 27, 2018 / 12:22 pm

Okay I mean this was already on my TBR but if it hadn’t been you would have totally sold me and now I’m thinking I’ve got to make this one a priority asap

• Janereads April 27, 2018 / 12:26 pm

Oh yay I hope you like it! Just keep in mind the books get better and better. ๐Ÿ˜

3. Leslie April 27, 2018 / 12:39 pm

Yessss!!!! I happened to see your blog as a “recommendation.” I saw this as your most recent post, clicked, read it and decided.. oh yes! I should be following you. I love this post so much and I agree 100%. I cannot wait for the last book but yet, I’m so sad to see it end!

• Janereads April 27, 2018 / 12:51 pm

Oh thank you! I’m so glad you found me. I will follow you back as we already have so much in common ๐Ÿ˜. I will be sad to see this series end too. They should make it into a TV series!

• Leslie April 27, 2018 / 12:54 pm

Yay! Thank you!! I know, It would be great! Although, did you hear that Hulu (I think Hulu) picked up ACOTAR?!?

• Janereads April 27, 2018 / 12:59 pm

Yes I did hear that. But I am not sure how quickly they are moving on it. Wouldn’t that be amazing if it happened? I’m just not sure it could ever live up to the books.

• Leslie April 27, 2018 / 1:10 pm

Agreed. Iโ€™m sure it could never live up! Have you ever watched Shadowhunters? I love The Mortal Instruments but they really left the books and itโ€™s so sad!

• Janereads April 27, 2018 / 1:16 pm

No I haven’t seen that but I heard it wasn’t good.

4. thebookbouquet May 11, 2018 / 9:53 pm

You had me at reason #2 and now this series is at the top of my Book Priorities list!! I definitely would recommend the Hunger Games if you havenโ€™t read it (although Iโ€™m guessing you already have)!! Lou xx

• Janereads May 11, 2018 / 9:55 pm

I’m so glad that you want to read this series. I hope you enjoy it. And yes I have read Hunger Games and love it. ๐Ÿ˜

• thebookbouquet May 11, 2018 / 9:58 pm

Iโ€™ll have to get to the library right away now and find the books. And yeah I though you would have because you seem like a big reader. I think we have a bit of the same taste ๐Ÿคญ

• Janereads May 12, 2018 / 5:51 am

Good luck finding them.

5. Kathy @ Books & Munches May 16, 2018 / 5:34 pm

I absolutely love these books. At first I felt.. intimidated by having to catch up on the series but now.. I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat if only I had the time, haha!
    Can’t wait to see how she’s going to wrap it all up in the final book. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Janereads May 16, 2018 / 5:36 pm

I can’t wait to read the last book as well! ๐Ÿ˜

6. thebluemoonarchives May 22, 2018 / 9:53 pm

i love this series so much !! and you did a wonderful job of summing up some of the best things in the series ๐Ÿ–ค great job!
    ~ Reet