How do you tackle your to be read pile?

One problem that bookaholics are always dealing with is our never-ending to be read pile. I currently have more than fifty books waiting patiently for me to read them. Some of these books have been on my shelves forever.

My never-ending to be read pile

With such a huge pile of books to be read you would think that I would stop buying more books but unfortunately I don’t work that way. I am easily swayed by other people’s recommendations, pretty covers and new release books surrounded by buzz and so my pile keeps growing and growing. Maybe I should stop sugar-coating it and just admit that I am greedy when it comes to books. I see, I want, I will maybe read it later.

On top of that are the books my husband reads and pleads with me to read as well. But there aren’t enough hours in the day to get to them all.

While some readers are disciplined and follow strict to be read lists (or read books in the order that they buy them), I am very much a mood reader. I read wherever my mood takes me.

If I am tired or low on energy I will choose a book that is light and fluffy and doesn’t require much effort to devour.

If I feel like a challenging read I will pick a classic or something literary–you know the type of book where you have to read each sentence twice to decipher its meaning.

If I want a quick read I will choose a popular thriller with a fast pace.

If a book is getting lots of love on bookstagram I will buy it and read it quick to avoid spoilers and so I can join the conversations. I love climbing onto a bookish bandwagon.

And sometimes I just want to revisit a favourite book so I will do a reread.

You can see why sticking to a particular reading list is just impossible for me. I donโ€™t think there’s anything wrong with going where my reading mood takes me but I do need to get over my book buying guilt. I can only hope that the books I haven’t read yet will wait patiently for my attention. Maybe one day they will become my new favourite read.

How do you tackle your to be read pile? Tell me in the comments.

26 thoughts on “How do you tackle your to be read pile?

• Janereads April 19, 2018 / 3:29 pm

Whatever works best for you! I don’t even know where the top of my pile is.

1. northmum April 19, 2018 / 4:45 pm

I made a New Yearโ€™s resolution not to buy books but to read what I have in the house. So far I have bought 4 physical books, 3 e-books (but one of them was free) and an audiobook that I had on pre-order. So not doing brilliantly but it is at least making me think harder before I buy/acquire – Iโ€™m not sure how big those numbers would be if I hadnโ€™t set the resolution!

• Janereads April 19, 2018 / 5:37 pm

Well done on your resolution! Funnily enough I said the same thing back in January and stuck to it for a month. A lot of the times I buy books in sales so at least I am saving a little bit of money. ๐Ÿ˜Š

2. Kecia April 19, 2018 / 6:38 pm

Couldnโ€™t agree more!! And in this digital age, we can satisfy our greed without even having to leave the house! I keep trying to completely switch to eBooks – if you canโ€™t see your to be read pile – no guilt! But it just hasnโ€™t happened- still love the real deal.

• Janereads April 19, 2018 / 6:42 pm

So true! I don’t even want to count how many ebooks I have waiting to be read. I download them when they are free in daily deals. Bookworm problems! ๐Ÿ˜

3. bookishluna April 20, 2018 / 9:52 am

I very rarely stick to my TBR. I have learned over time to pick 2-4 books for my TBR and this leaves me a lot of wiggle room so that has been helping. I am challenging myself, but also allowing myself to be the mood reader I am. I also periodically do the read 5 buy 1 challenge, I tend to do this for a month or so after I go on a book buying spree.

• Janereads April 20, 2018 / 10:15 am

That’s a good idea to read 5 books and buy 1 book. That’s something I might consider doing ๐Ÿ˜.

4. lauren12k April 21, 2018 / 6:35 am

I was the same! But at the beginning of this year I made a resolution to read any books I buy when I buy them and so far thatโ€™s working! I also regularly Un haul books ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 2 people

• Janereads April 21, 2018 / 6:41 am

Good for you! Glad you found something that works for you. I know I will get to my unread books eventually – it might just take a while ๐Ÿ˜Š

5. Lauren April 21, 2018 / 6:38 am

Iโ€™m the same I find it so hard! But I unhaul books a lot ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Sheree Strange April 21, 2018 / 12:09 pm

+1 mood reader, right here! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’ve managed to craft a reading list long and varied enough that I can almost always find something that suits whatever mood I’m in that day. I tend to break up classics with contemporary reads, so I’m constantly jumping back and forth in time.

I’ve actually found that having a list has really helped, because in addition to being a mood reader I’m also a chronic re-reader – so I’d turn back to the same dozen books time and time again. The list is forcing me to try new things, things I wouldn’t necessarily turn to by default, and it’s been really good for me (and I’ve found so many new favourites!). ๐Ÿ™‚

• Janereads April 21, 2018 / 12:46 pm

That’s great that you have found a method that works for you. ๐Ÿ˜

7. Carly Cooper April 22, 2018 / 11:27 am

Oh this is such a good discussion, I have lists but so rarely stick to them. My library has a function on its website where you can create lists of books on it’s database. So essentially it’s another TBR list, but with books I actually have access too. I reserved my goodreads TBR for books I’m interested in but books that my library doesn’t have at that point in time.

But I’m similar to you I think… I borrow books based on feeling. I just ask myself if I’m in the mood or have enough time between uni and my jobs to read something perhaps heavy or light. If I can’t be bothered at that time, I add it to the list. If I discover a new book via someone and get excited about it, I just borrow it straight away.

All in all, I’m not too worried about lists. (I used to be for sure.) However I think it’s more important that you know yourself as a reader. If that means following your moods which identify what you’d enjoy more at that point in time.. then you’re going to be reading more books you enjoy, which I think is better for my day to day happiness!

Great discussion, I never get over the TBR debate. It’s interesting because everyone is so different.

• Janereads April 22, 2018 / 12:15 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the topic. It sounds like you’re a similar reader to me ๐Ÿ˜. I think (like you said) as long as you’re reading books you enjoy, it doesn’t matter how you choose your next book.

8. jessicabookworm April 23, 2018 / 6:05 am

Jane, I am also a mood reader and I don’t stick rigidly to reading lists. I have found it helps to have a couple of books on the go at the same time: one fiction for purely for fun, one non-fiction to learns something from and a classic. Then I usually have something on the go that will suit my mood.

• Janereads April 23, 2018 / 10:49 am

That’s great that you can juggle two books at once. I find that difficult but I applaud people like you who can do it.

• jessicabookworm April 24, 2018 / 4:32 am

Jane, I always thought I would find it hard but actually I find it easy as long as it is a mixture of fiction, non-fiction and classic; which are very different to each other.

9. Fictionophile April 25, 2018 / 12:47 am

HaHa Jane! I snicker at your tiny TBR….. LOL As of today I have 191 titles that I have commitments to review. Obviously I am also a ‘greedy guts’ when it comes to books.
    Before I had my blog I was like you – very much a ‘mood’ reader. Now, with so many review commitments I find that I’ve had to forgo that in favour of a more concrete plan. Lately I’ve been posting my following month’s TBR in the hopes that then I will stick to it. This worked for me in April and I hope I can continue. I have found that I cannot read more than ten titles per month as life has a way of interfering in my reading. I do try to alternate thrillers with literary fiction so as not to get burned out on one particular genre.

• Janereads April 26, 2018 / 12:05 pm

You win the TBR pile competition! I know what you mean about having review commitments and this dictates your TBR pile a bit. I just try not to overcommit myself in this area and only agree to reviewing books I really want to read. Otherwise I find it hard to get through a book if it feels like homework. Sounds like you have found a great TBR strategy that works for you. I agree about swapping genres. I like to mix it up as well.

10. Leslie April 27, 2018 / 12:48 pm

AHHHH..The age old question! It’s so hard because I am constantly buying books. I was adamant about reading more books from my shelves this year. I was doing SO well but then at the end of January, I started blogging. Also, bookstagram makes me want to buy every book, ever. Hahaha… With all these amazing books being talked about, I have endless holds at the library, buying books on sale, and constantly requesting e-ARC’s. Why? I have a problem. I want to read everything! Obviously, that’s never going to happen. I’m doing really well by being VERY picky. I used to request anything that sounded sorta interesting. Now, I make sure it’s something I really want to read. I have my ARC’s, listed in my planner and when I have to read and review it. It gives me a little bit of a schedule and keeps me organized. All other books, I try to alternate between a book I own and a book from the library. This way, I can kind of get some of my own read. I will also try to read one book, if not two, from a recent book haul. This way, it’s just not all going on the shelf and I’m never touching any of them. I don’t know if any of this makes sense. The read… one of mine and then one of another (ARC, library copy or whatever) then back again, really helps me get SOME of my own books read! ๐Ÿ™‚ Sorry, this was really long!

• Janereads April 27, 2018 / 12:56 pm

Wow sounds like you have the same problem as me. I 100% blame bookstagram and my FOMO. I am so easily persuaded to read something if I see glowing reviews about it. But it looks like you have a good TBR strategy. Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ˜.

• Leslie April 27, 2018 / 1:07 pm

Totally blame bookstagram! Itโ€™s all their fault ๐Ÿ˜‚. You are welcome! I hope you can tackle some of your TBR!