My Love Affair with the Outlander Series

I discovered the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon years ago when I was at university. It remains one of the defining moments in my reading life to date. I can still remember the absolute pleasure it was to read about Jamie and Claire for the first time. I often wish I could go back to this first time so I could be surprised all over again. This book fulfilled a lot of my reading loves: historical fiction, romance, adventure, a bit of fantasy and I loved all the medical aspects portrayed through Claire’s character.

For a long time I had never met anyone who had read this series. Then the TV series came out and suddenly there were people everywhere talking about my favourite series. I still remember where I found it. There was a second-hand book store (otherwise known as paradise to a book nerd like me) next to the supermarket where I worked part-time and it was there in this little shop that I first picked up Cross Stitch by Diana Gabaldon. (The first book in the series was published as Cross Stitch in Australia, not Outlander.)

I remember thinking when I first started the book that Claire would end up with Dougal MacKenzie. I never imagined that the love interest in the novel would turn out to be a younger man, prone to accidents, scarred, outlawed and red-haired. He really wasn’t my type at all! But Cross Stitch/Outlander reeled me and led me on a very unlikely adventure across the Scottish Highlands.

Imagine my joy when I discovered that there were more books in the series! I think the series was up to book four by that stage. I’ve since read all the books in the nine book series as they have come out and watched the Outlander TV series over and over again. The first three books in the series I have read countless times over the years. Outlander and Voyager are my two favourite books in the series.

I even lived in the UK for a while and always tried my luck when I visited standing stones, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to touch them and travel back in time. When I went to Scotland, I visited Culloden moor, the scene of a tragic battle between the Jacobites and the English, and felt so sad walking around those fields, imagining all the brave men that died there. It was Diana Gabaldon’s books that first introduced this slice of Scottish history to me.

That’s not to say I think the Outlander series is perfect. I have met some people that hate these books. The later books in the series don’t interest me as much as the earlier ones and I find it difficult to remember who all the characters are when there are years in between books. Plus, how many times is Claire going to be threatened with rape as a plot point? Speaking of Claire, sometimes she annoys me with her know-it-all attitude and she’s just way too stubborn. But those flaws are probably what make her such a well-rounded character.

The character Jamie seems to be good at everything and wildly romantic—I’m just not sure such a man would ever exist. I think that there’s no man on earth who could be as romantic as James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser. Or more intelligent. Where did he find time to learn so many different languages? And seriously, how many injuries and near death experiences can one man have? My poor husband is not the biggest fan of Jamie!

But all that aside, these characters have been with me a long time and I will continue to shell out money for each book in the series. I will continue to watch the Outlander TV series, even though it doesn’t come close to being as good as the books. It’s still so exciting to see my favourite book series brought to life on the screen. Just call me an Outlander tragic for life…

Are you an Outlander fan? If not, what book series do you love and why?

14 thoughts on “My Love Affair with the Outlander Series

1. outoftunesite March 20, 2018 / 12:40 pm

Now I feel like I really need to read Outlander! I’ve heard mixed things on it, but this post really intrigued me. I want to read the books before I watch any of the series, though!

• Janereads March 20, 2018 / 1:00 pm

Definitely read the books first! Or read the first book and then watch the first season. I think you either really love this series or it’s just not for you. I hope you enjoy this.

2. Fictionophile March 20, 2018 / 1:05 pm

I read the first three books in the series (with the 1st one being my absolute favourite). I haven’t missed a minute of the TV series – Love it!

• Janereads March 20, 2018 / 1:30 pm

That’s great! Glad to hear it. And you’ve still got six more books to go. Lucky you!

3. thisisoneforthebooks March 20, 2018 / 4:16 pm

When I saw the title of this post, I thought to myself “Outlander sounds so familiar, I think that’s a TV series” but I didn’t know it was a book! Let alone a whole series of books. Isn’t it amazing when you get to watch your favourite book on the big screen? Especially after you’ve been in love with it for years!

4. Sheree Strange March 20, 2018 / 6:27 pm

I must admit, I’d never heard of Outlander until a few months ago when one of my favourite podcasters mentioned that it was her favourite show… and even then, I had no idea that it was even a book series until I discovered your blog/Instagram! The show really doesn’t sound much like my kind of thing and I wasn’t ever planning to watch it, but you talk so passionately about the books (and we have similar tastes in so many other things!) I’m thinking the book series might be at the very least worth a try… 😉

• Janereads March 20, 2018 / 7:15 pm

Oh the pressure! 😂 I would love to say you will love it because I do but my tastes are very broad. I think if you like historical fiction with very passionate love scenes and feisty characters then give this a go. But if history bores you to tears then back away slowly. Or maybe watch an episode or two of the TV series and see if it’s your thing.

5. Alastair Savage May 9, 2018 / 9:30 pm

My wife got me into the TV series and I do like it although I seem to be alone in preferring season 2 to any of the others. Murtagh is by the best character and much more interesting than Jamie and Claire. That episode where he gets his revenge…

• Janereads May 10, 2018 / 5:44 am

It’s great that you like Outlander. And Murtaugh is a fantastic character. I have tried to get my husband to watch Outlander but no luck yet! 😁

6. shihtzusandbookreviews May 14, 2018 / 11:49 pm

I’ve recently started reading the series and Outlander was just breathtaking! Dragonfly in Amber has been harder to get into, obviously it’s hard to live up to the first book but it’s picking up now! It has definitely taken over my reading life and it’s hard to read anything else!!

• Janereads May 22, 2018 / 11:13 am

I’m so glad you are enjoying the Outlander series–and yes, there are a lot of books to get through. The first book is my favourite and then book 3 Voyager.