Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris

Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris (ISBN 9780575096622, 352pp, May 2013)
Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris (ISBN 9780575096622, 352pp, May 2013)

It’s all over. OVER! After years of dedicated reading, I’ve just finished the final Sookie Stackhouse book. Thirteen books and it’s finally done. Without wanting to spoil it for others, I know the ending I wanted and it is not the ending I got. But it was the ending that I knew was coming. It’s the ending that makes the most sense, but the ending that seems to have sent people on goodreads into the depths of despair.

I loved this series but only loyalty had me reading the last few books. The story seemed to lose its way in its quest to stretch out to thirteen installments. Still, I will remember all the great writing that had me eagerly anticipating each installment. Who would have thought that a waitress called Sookie Stackhouse with telepathic powers and a love of tanning could make such fantastic reading? Add in vampires, werewolves, fairies, maenads, witches, shapeshifters, werepanthers, weretigers, demons and zealots and it was a recipe for a whole lot of fun.

Thank goodness I still have the TrueBlood HBO series to watch or else I would be distraught about saying good-bye to Sookie.

9 thoughts on “Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris

1. Heather May 30, 2013 / 11:27 am

I really have to start reading this series. Thirteen books should keep me going for a while!

• janereads May 30, 2013 / 5:28 pm

yes, give it a go and then tell me if you liked how book 13 ended.

• Heather July 9, 2013 / 10:23 am

Ok. So 13 books didn’t last me as long as I thought they would. It took me about three weeks to get through them and I completely agree with you about the ending. I think I scared my boyfriend last night – I was that upset and angry about the end. I suspect that the ending you were after was the same one I wanted. I wouldn’t have even cared how she got to that ending, as long as she got there.
        I feel like Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook when he throws the book out the window because the ending was so annoying (hoping you’ve seen that so you get what I mean).

• janereads July 12, 2013 / 2:13 pm

**Spoiler alert**
          I’m so glad you read them all. And yes, I get the Silver Linings Playbook reference. Why do that to us? It takes all those books to get to where the author wants us to go – Sookie and Eric being together – and then it just peters out to nothing.

2. BrittanyR June 4, 2013 / 2:54 am

I told myself after 12 that I was done. After six or seven they all started to blend together, but I kept on reading. Now that it’s over for sure, I’ll pick up 13.

• janereads July 2, 2013 / 7:36 pm