The new J.K. Rowling book – what are your plans?

Is anyone else excited that The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling is out this week? I know that it won’t be Harry Potter, but I am looking forward to reading it. Especially since it comes out just before the October long weekend here in Australia and I have a five-hour bus ride to fill with a good book.

It is released here on Thursday, 27 September at 5pm. I am not sure whether I should rush from work to the nearest book store and line up with the masses or whether this release will be a more staid affair than the Harry hysteria of the past. Some people queue for iPhone 5 – I am willing to queue for a good book.

I know there’s no rush to get this book, but I don’t want it to be spoilt for me by reading reviews or overhearing someone dissect the plot on the bus. I just want to be surprised.

Are you going to hurry out to get J.K. Rowling’s first adult book or are you happy to read it whenever?

8 thoughts on “The new J.K. Rowling book – what are your plans?

1. Literary Tiger September 24, 2012 / 3:48 am

Thanks for the reminder. I totally forgot about Casual Vacancy . It is something that I want to read only because I’m curious if she can deliver outside of Harry Potter . I actually think she’s a great writer, and I have high hopes for this book. 🙂

• janereads September 24, 2012 / 6:57 am

Me too! Hope she delivers something great.

2. A.M.B. September 25, 2012 / 1:44 am

While I am curious about it, I will not be reading it anytime soon. In my opinion, nothing justifies the $17.99 pricetag for the ebook. I’m an avid reader, but I’m not willing to queue for a book (or a phone!) when I don’t have to queue for less expensive and possibly more interesting options (if this were the next Harry Potter, I might!). It’s not worth my time and money. I’ll read it eventually, though, and I look forward to reading the reviews.

3. jessicabookworm September 25, 2012 / 8:46 pm

I am happy to read it when ever. As much as I loved the Harry Potter series I didn’t rush out and buy any of them either.

4. Heather September 26, 2012 / 12:39 pm

I’m not in a great hurry to read it to be honest (nothing will ever beat Harry Potter, just saying), But I will probably do what I do with all new releases that I want to read and but it the day it comes out, then let it sit on my shelf for a few months. Then when I finally want to read it, it’ll already be there. Mind you, I have about 20 books that I “really want to read” just sitting around not being read (I have accumulated them over the last 4 years or so). It’s an illness that I have.

• janereads September 27, 2012 / 7:15 am

I think I must have the same illness. I went into the book store the other day and came out with a list of 10 books I want to buy. But I usually try to read the books I buy … eventually 🙂

• janereads September 27, 2012 / 9:24 pm

I just picked my copy up! Can’t wait to start it on my long bus ride tomorrow.